Mind Australia provides a number of high-quality Housing with support services for people with significant mental health and wellbeing concerns to find help, hope and purpose in their lives.
We are one of the leading specialist community housing providers in Australia for people experiencing a psychosocial disability, and we are a registered NDIS provider, entrusted to deliver federal and state government services.
What is Housing with support?
Housing with support refers to residences where people with significant mental health and wellbeing concerns can live independently while receiving support from qualified mental health workers - typically funded by the NDIS. Residents learn life skills, like confidence and connection with others, to help build a healthy lifestyle.
Mind’s Housing with support services include:
- Psychosocial residential rehabilitation – 24/7 support for people with psychosocial disability in a community environment.
- The Haven Foundation - integrated social housing and support – 24/7 support for people with psychosocial disability, with a strong focus on family and carer engagement and community connection. This service is generally long-term housing in self-contained units with shared common areas. Haven residences are managed in partnership with our subsidiary, community housing provider The Haven Foundation. Haven residences feature up to 16 private apartments, each with its own kitchen, living room, bathroom, laundry facilities and outdoor area. Find out more about our Havens here.
- Housing with complex care in Specialist Disability Accommodation – 24/7 support for clients with high and complex support needs, often with a dual disability. This service is generally for long-term housing.
Mind can also provide short or medium term Housing with support services for people with NDIS funding waiting for permanent homes.
Who is Housing with support for?
Mind's Housing with support services are designed for people whose capacity to live independently is impacted by long-term mental ill-health.
Applicants must be between 18-64 years of age, have an NDIS package to fund housing support and have the financial means to pay for rent/board and utilities. Applicants should be looking for a place suitable for someone with significant mental health and wellbeing concerns.
In most cases, residents fund their Housing with support service via their NDIS package. Residents with NDIS Flexible Core packages that feature funding for Activities of Daily Living, or Supported Independent Living, typically choose help with:
- decision making, daily planning and budgeting
- building skills for shopping and cooking for healthy eating
- written communication and filling in forms
- learning to maintain a household with tasks such as laundry and cleaning
- developing and maintaining connections with family and friends
- getting ready for the day and other personal care tasks.
Why choose Mind for Housing with support services?
We have been providing mental health and wellbeing support to people, and their families, friends and carers, for more than 45 years. Every individual's journey to a life of meaning and purpose is unique, which is why our services are flexible and offer genuine choice and control.
We work with residents and their families, friends and carers to build a high quality, program of support tailored to their unique needs and NDIS plan goals. Our qualified staff work in partnership with residents and their family, friends and carers to strengthen personal skills and build independence.
We promote a sense of community in our housing services to encourage residents to share and support each other, including taking part in group activities.
Some of our Housing staff are peer workers – people with lived experience of mental ill-health. Our peer workers lead skills-based peer learning workshops with residents among other work. We are a leading employer of people with lived experience, recognising their unique ability to connect with and motivate clients and guide recovery.
Where are Mind’s Housing with support services located?
Psychosocial residential rehabilitation services are located here:
The Haven Foundation - integrated social housing and support services are located here:
More Haven residences are being built, including Ballarat, Clearview (SA), Colac, Corio, Drouin, Frankston (Banksia), Horsham, Kilmore, Moe, North Bendigo, Pakenham, Seymour, Sunbury, Torquay, Traralgon, Wangaratta, Wodonga and Wonthaggi.
Housing with complex care in Specialist Disability Accommodation are located here:
How do I register my interest for Housing with support?
Get more information on The Haven Foundation and Haven residences here.
Subscribe to our Housing with support newsletter here to keep up to date on housing vacancies at Mind Australia.
What do our residents say?
“Everyone who lives here gets along well; we have community meetings and people are good at listening to each other.” – Read Ben’s story here.
“The wonderful thing is that all the residents have their own space and choose what they want to take part in or what support they need – we all have the chance to actively work on our recovery alongside one another and Mind staff.” – Read Heather’s story here.
“Coming here has been the biggest and happiest step of my recovery because it has really given me a chance to get all the parts of my life together.” – Read Rob’s story here.